Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:21:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Sascha Schumann <sas@www.schell.de>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or LINUX??? - Which one should I choose?

Sascha, i really enjoyed your postings to this list. Unfortunately you
are trying to start a splatter-fest:

Sascha Schumann writes:
 > > >I'm running FreeBSD-stable (2.2.7) now for four days and it crashed three
 > > >times on me. The first time, I copied a 2MB file to a clean ext2fs
 > > >partition - the system hang (I could still switch between terminals),
 > > >but the partition was mixed up - lots of errors while running e2fsck. The
 > > >second time happened while hammering the FreeBSD machine with lots of web
 > > >request. The system froze (=totally dead) after ~2M requests. The third
 > > >time was again disk related, "Freeing free block" and system reboot within
 > > >15 seconds while installing a new kernel image.
 >
 > The disk I copied to (a old 500MB Conner, UFS) has/had bad blocks. I
 > played with bad144/badsect/fsck shortly before that and dd'ed some test
 > files around the partitions. That was probably the cause.

... and maybe dd'ed the whole partition away. Then why are you whining
in your first post about a panic.
Take a nail, hammer it through your harddisk and wonder that FreeBSD
panics. And yes, i know, Linux wouldn't crash on this.

Next time tell the whole story in your FIRST complain instead of
drawing a bad picture of FreeBSD by just telling parts of the story.

Some of your own words:

 > > >I don't want to blame FreeBSD here for anything. I'm *very* new to it. I'm
 > > >Linux biased. I'm open to new things - but not to Linux bashing.

Then why are you FreeBSD-bashing ?

Malte.