Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 23:54:48 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   routing table entry vanishes

I have two 4.3-RELEASE boxes located 2500 miles apart at two offices of our
company. They are each multi-homed and "tunnel" the LANs for the two offices
together using IPSEC in "tunnel" mode.

The tunnel uses 10.x.x.x addresses on the gif0 interface on each end. The
tunnel works just fine and stays up.

However,  I had to add a static route on each box saying that the LAN segment
on the other end was reachable via the address of the far end of the tunnel.
IE; something like "route add -net 192.168.5.0 10.20.20.1, where 192.168.5.0
is the LAN address space at the other end of the tunnel and 10.20.20.1 is the
address of the gif0 device on the other box.

On one of the two boxes, the route just disappears from the routing table. It
seems to coincide with interruptions in the network connectivity between the
two ends.

I've had to use a script that runs every 5 minutes and restores the route
entry if a ping fails.

What could be causing this? Why only one end?
--
Jim Durham