Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:50:40 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vinum mirror

On Thursday, 26 December 2002 at 11:16:39 +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # neuhauser@bellavista.cz / 2002-12-26 08:56:51 +0100:
>> I'm trying to setup a mirrored volume, but haven't gotten too far.
>>
>> A freshly installed 4.7-RELEASE, with
>> ad0s1{a,b,e} - /, swap, /usr
>> da{0,1}s1{b,e} - swap, <future-mirrored-var>
>>
>> right now, I have /var on da0s1e, the goal is to have it mirrorred on
>> da1s1e. I've read www.vinumvm.org/vinum/fullintro.html (a bit over my
>> head), and am trying to go along /usr/share/doc/articles/vinum/.

>> # fsck -n /dev/vinum/mirror
>> ** /dev/vinum/mirror (NO WRITE)
>> BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
>> /dev/vinum/mirror: CANNOT FIGURE OUT FILE SYSTEM PARTITION
>
>     got past that: the "bootstrapping vinum" article doesn't mention
>     that disklabel output is in sectors while vinum defaults to bytes;
>     and I didn't notice this for some reason.

There wasn't anything obviously wrong in the output you posted before.

>     oh, BTW, if you read this, Greg, I got panic with these two
>     config files ("drive a" in both):

What was the panic?  Where's the dump?

I've just put up review drafts for the Vinum chapter of the upcoming
fourth edition of "The Complete FreeBSD" at
http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf and
http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.txt.  It contains a considerable
amount of completely new material There may be some loose ends there.
I'd be interested in feedback.

Greg