Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:38:47 +0300
From:      Courvette <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with Tape Drive

* John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com> [20010117 18:28]: writing on the subject 'Re: Help with Tape Drive'
John>
John> [ trimming cc: to just -questions ]
John>
John> [ On Wednesday, January 17, Courvette wrote: ]
John> > Hello Pals,
John> > Someone can help me with this one. After an upgrade to 4.2-STABLE from
John> > 3.5-STABLE I am unable to use my tape drive -and consequently can't do
John> > backups - we all know how serious that is....
John> >
John> > I am in a dilemna::
John> >
John> > wash:~$ mt status
John> > mt: /dev/nsa0: Device not configured
John> >
John> > +++++
John> > wash:~$ cd /dev/
John> > wash:/dev$ ls -al *sa0
John> > crw-rw----  4 root  operator   14,   2 Jan 17 18:10 ersa0
John> > crw-rw----  4 root  operator   14,   2 Jan 17 18:10 esa0
John> > crw-rw----  4 root  operator   14,   1 Jan 17 18:10 nrsa0
John> > crw-rw----  4 root  operator   14,   1 Jan 17 18:10 nsa0
John> > crw-rw----  4 root  operator   14,   0 Jan 17 18:10 rsa0
John> > crw-rw----  4 root  operator   14,   0 Jan 17 18:10 sa0
John> > wash:/dev$
John>
John> Just cuz the device files are there doesn't mean didly-squat. We'll need your
John> relevent snippets (related to the tape) from your kernel config, the type of
John> tape drive it is, and your 'dmesg' output after boot
John> (/var/run/dmesg.boot). Then that might be enough information to go on ...

Thanks John. I've sent that to -questions. The tape drive is those HP
T20s.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Women want mediocre men. And men are working hard to become as medicore as
possible. -Margaret Mead