Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:52:02 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Power-Mgt (Was: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/cpufreq est.c )

In message <20080318182358.F34016@fledge.watson.org>, Robert Watson writes:

>I know we've talked about this, but I'll mention it for the benefits of the
>mailing list: one of the things that makes performance an "easy" target is
>that there are easy-to-gather metrics.  [...]  Are
>there any decent documents describing how to do power use measurement, and are
>there any (relatively) accessible tools for doing it with?

I think performance and power-performance is pretty similar in this:
you can easily collect some pretty crude performance indications
and it takes a determined effort to get hard numbers.

When we talk about macroscopic efforts, turning of hardware we don't
use, spinning down disks, common sense says that power is saved and
we can leave it at that.

When we talk about optimizing scheduling to keep chips powered off
as much as possible, it will more than the average ampmeter to
inform about the optimal algorithms.

I have not tried to find out how exact the power measurements ACPI
offers on laptops are, I know some of the chips used but have
never double-checked the result.

Obviously, if you have access to a decent bench supply, you can run
your laptop off that (take the battery out so charging does not
affect the results), but few off them allow you to measure power
(ie: Watts) without hooking up GPIB and accumulating a lot of
current measurements by hand.

rocket science either.