Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:42:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-114.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel traps on boot..

Chris Csanady writes:

 > Regardless, should a alignment trap cause the machine to die?  I

Yes, as the comment in trap.c says: any unaligned access in the kernel
is a bug.

 > think in NetBSD, they just print it to the console.  Has anyone

Last I looked, NetBSD panics.  Digital UNIX fixes up unaligned
accesses in versions prior to 4.0d.

 > else noticed similar behavior?

Yes, although much, much later.  Its hitting me at the point of
starting init.  I'd thought that it was something of mine own doing --
I'm working on OSF/1 binary compatibility & have locally relocated the
user stack to get it out of /compat/osf1/sbin/loader's way.  I'm glad
somebody without my local changes is also having the similar problems.
What's at the faulting pc?

 > Not being able to reliably build a kernel makes it really hard
 > to get things done.  I finally have my GNIC II driver mostly

To hack around it, just make a minor change to trap.c.. Here's a hand
generated diff, complete with whitespace..

***************
*** 219,225 ****
  		 * signalling is appropriate (based on system-wide
  		 * and per-process unaligned-access-handling flags).
  		 */
! 		if (user) {
  			if ((i = unaligned_fixup(a0, a1, a2, p)) == 0)
  				goto out;

--- 225,231 ----
  		 * signalling is appropriate (based on system-wide
  		 * and per-process unaligned-access-handling flags).
  		 */
! 		if (1 || user) {
  			if ((i = unaligned_fixup(a0, a1, a2, p)) == 0)
  				goto out;

Drew