Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2009 02:00:03 GMT
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        apache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/131563: [patch] Edit www/apache22/pkg-message to prompt  user to add hostname to /etc/hosts

The following reply was made to PR ports/131563; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To: "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/131563: [patch] Edit www/apache22/pkg-message to prompt
	user to add hostname to /etc/hosts
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:25:35 -0500

 On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Philip M. Gollucci
 <pgollucci@freebsd.org> wrote:
 > This is not true.  Largely, this depends on the modules you have loaded (in
 > particular, mod_uniqueid and mod_usertrack).

 AFAIK, these are 'default'.

 > Additionally, it also depends on if you hostname resolves via DNS.

 Right.  Most of the apache startup problems on FreeBSD I see are
 /etc/hosts related.  Most of the users experiencing are "new" to
 FreeBSD, and neglect adding their hostname to /etc/hosts.  (I know I
 still do on occasion.)

 > Finally, it depends on what you have set for the ServerName directive in
 > httpd.conf

 I have successfully run Apache (2.0.x and 2.2.x) without a ServerName
 directive but a resolvable address (/etc/hosts entry).

 I think adding this patch would be a "convenience reminder" rather
 than "this will fix all of the problems."  At least, it is a step to
 try to prevent a FAQ I see too often.

 Regards,

 --
 Glen Barber