Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2011 15:53:01 +1100
From:      "Murray Taylor" <MTaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   issue with IPF firewall state tables

Back Story:

Old Server (X32 system, probably FreeBSD 4.3-ish)=20
New Server (Dual core, X64 with plenty of RAM) running 8.1-RELEASE

New Server was put in production last night as a core router, with=20
the same rc.conf, firewall rule set and config from the old router=20
that has been working for years.

At around 12 Lunchtime we had reports of no internet connectivity,=20
I've jumped onto the router and seen that it is blocking a whole=20
heap of internal to external DNS server traffic, along with other=20
would-be allowed traffic.

I promptly flushed the firewall ruleset with "ipf -Fa", and noted=20
that the rules did clear - Issue still existing.
I re-loaded the rule set, no change.
Upon restart, the router began to behave itself again...

I have been using "ipfstat -ts | grep active" to get a count of=20
state entries, and comparing to the 4013 default.

We are sitting on around ~2000 state entries. I am aware I can=20
flush the state table, but until the router breaks itself again,=20
I cannot clear it.

Does this sound like a full state table? Am I using the best=20
method to check? Is there any form of notification that this=20
is happening anywhere?

--=20
Murray Taylor
Bytecraft Systems
Special Projects Engineer

P: +61 3 8710 0600
D: +61 3 9238 5168
F: +61 3 9238 5140

=20|_|0|_|        "Absence of evidence
=20|_|_|0|        is not evidence of absence"
=20|0|0|0|        Carl Sagan

=20
The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.=20

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

### This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses by Bytecraft ###