Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:00:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sendmail config question

Hi,

I want all mail sent from my localhost to be handled by another mail
host, where users may or may not have a .forward file directing the
mail back to the original host.  In that case I want the mail to be
delivered locally.

I've got this working but only if outgoing addresses are qualified
with a domain name, i.e., 'user@somewhere.com' works, but just 'user'
is delivered locally without sending to the mail host.

Here's my m4 config file:

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`@(#)bsd.mc	$Revision: 1 $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mailertable')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(somewhere.com)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
define(`SMART_HOST', mailhost.somewhere.com)dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', mailhost.somewhere.com)dnl
define(`MAIL_HUB',mylocalhost.somwhere.com)dnl
define(`LUSER_RELAY', mailhost.somewhere.com)dnl
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/sendmail.cw')dnl
LOCAL_USER(root)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

My understanding is that defining LOCAL_RELAY is supposed to handle
the case of unqualified addresses, but it is not working for me here.
While experimenting, I've found that the order of the defines in the
config file is important, but I still can't seem to make it work even
by re-ordering.  Any ideas?

sendmail version:	8.9.1
FreeBSD version:	3.0-980825-SNAP

Thanks for any help.