Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 23:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dan@math.berkeley.edu
Subject:   preliminary observations of 3.0-19980923-BETA

Since the actual release is supposedly imminent, I guess we should
start reporting cosmetic errors on the principle that the people
who might fix these things can't decide not to bother with bugs
that they don't know about.

My trivial gripe for today is about the CHECKSUM files.
I check the checksums after I download and I find (in addition to
the occasional unreported download error) a number of glitches in
the checksum files themselves.  For example, the scrypto, skerbero,
and ssecure checksums are in src/CHECKSUM.MD5 while the actual
distribution files are in the des subdirectory.

This time around, the X11 server checksums are missing from
XF86332/SUMS.md5 though for some odd reason PC98-Servers and
Servers directories (not their contents) were checksummed.

I am hoping that an obsessive sense of professionalism will
motivate minor repairs to the procedure for building the
checksum files in the releases.

Thanks,
	Dan Strick