Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 09:41:47 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        jerry.alexandratos@perspectives.net, jlemon@americantv.com, ctapang@easystreet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSDBOOT.EXE

> > Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com> says:
> > :
> > : Not true.  VM86 is also required to support VESA.  Also, it is used
> > : for reliable memory detection (which is why I want to make it mandatory).
> > : No more "My Stinkpad only detected 64M, what do I do now??!" questions.
> >
> > Actually, even with VM86, the kernel still doesn't correctly detect the
> > StinkPad's memory.

This is because the BIOS probe results are still ignored. 8(

> It just occurred to me that we might be able to use initial MTRR settings
> by BIOS for memory detection (P6 and above, of course). Don't know how
> reliable that is.

Not at all.  If there's 640k chopped off the end of eg. 128M of
physical memory, you'd have to use a 64M segment, a 32M segment, a 16M
segment, an 8M segment, a 4M segment, a 2M segment, a 1M segment, a
256k segment and a 128k segment to map it accurately.  That's 9
variable MTRRs, and the P6 only has 8.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org