Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 18:10:36 -0800
From:      "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
Cc:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>, FreeBSD Networking <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How can I give one route priority over the other route ?

> >In situations where there are 2 routes in your routing table that apply to
> >a given destination IP address, how do you give one route priority over
> >the other ?
>
> The one with the widest netmask is used.
>
> So if you have both 10.0.0.0/8 and 10.42.69.0/24 in your routing table and
> for instance a packet needs to go to 10.42.69.13 the latter is used.

Alas this is not what the writer is asking for.

This is an issue with the routing system design.  Many routers
allow duplicate routes (same netmask) that have different priorities.
This makes it quicker to switch routes during a failure.

At the moment, the only way to do this in *BSD that I know if is to hack the sources
and add sysctl/ioctls to address this.  There is a derivative implementation
that puts a list of addresses at each node but that's not the best solution.

Later,
George

--
George V. Neville-Neil                                  gnn@neville-neil.com
NIC:GN82

"Those who would trade liberty for temporary security deserve neither"
						- Benjamin Franklin