Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:50:45 -0700
From:      jbarbee@singular.com (John Barbee)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rumba strangeness

This gets even more weird.
There are two NT servers: serverA and serverB.

serverB has a dns entry and serverA doesn't.
both have host entries on my freebsd machine.

when I ping serverB, i get a response right away.
when I ping serverA, ping hangs for a while and then responds.
when I ping serverA with serverA's ip, i get a response right away.

when I use rumba to try and mount shares from serverB, i get this error.
Kernel: smb_receive_raw: Invalid packet 0x83
Kernel: smb_receive: receive error: -5
Kernel: smb_proc_connect: Failed to send SESSION REQUEST.
error connecting to server: [5] Input/output error

when I use rumba to try and mount shares from serverA, i connect just fine.
when I use rumba to try and mount shares from serverA's ip address, i get the
same error.

So here's the correlation, if I can ping the nt server (because there is dns
entry or i'm using the ip address) without a hitch, I have trouble mounting
shares.
If i have trouble pinging the nt server (it doesn't have a dns entry), I can
mount it after rumba hangs about a minute or so.