To:        "Wayne M. Barnes" <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
Subject:   Re: passwd,send-pr,lprm broke in 3.1 (fwd)

| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
In message <199902230035.SAA00495@barnes1.wustl.edu>, "Wayne M. Barnes" wrote:
} Dear Stablizers,
}
}     OH NO!  Now I have TWO systems with bad passwd, send-pr.
}
}     This system was okay at 3.0, so I thought it had dodged the passwd
} bullet, and it would be safe to upgrade to today's 3.1-stable.
} (by doing a 'make world' and building a new kernel)
}
} Wrong.  Now it too has been infected with the problem.
}
}    Everybody please try to change your password with 'passwd', and
} try to start the 'send-pr' program.  On my two 3.1 systems (upgraded
} by_the_book) from 2.2.8, now these two commands (and, on one and only
} one of my 2 systems, lprm) just hang and do nothing.  Is it
} really only me with this problem?

All work fine on my 3.1-STABLE system built from sources cvsupped from
this morning.  Did you try pwd_mkdb by hand?  struct utmp did change from
2.x to 3.x, which I could believe might cause some of the problems you
describe.

You may also want to try running passwd as root, or using truss(1) to
watch a passwd invocation and see where it's hanging (you'll need to
do that as root as well in order get anything useful out of truss, since
passwd is setuid).

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com