Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:12:58 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Sandip Srivastava <ssriva1@alumni.umbc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X won't run after upgrade

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 08:02:37PM -0500, Sandip Srivastava wrote:
> I upgraded to XFree86 3.3.6 using the port. After the port was installed,
> I rebooted my pc and ran 'xf86config'. Then I typed 'startx' at the prompt
> and got the following error:
>
> Xwrapper:  no modules loaded for 'xserver' service
> Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
> Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
>
> I ran 'startx' as root and as a regular user, and still got the same
> error. I also used 'XF86Setup' for configuration. I'm at a lost what do.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arghh! yes , I fell into that one myself. When you built XFree you
answered "yes" to the question asking if you want PAM support.
Re-build it, answering "no" to the PAM question and the problem will
disappear.

FWIW, I read on one of the lists that PAM is broken (it fails to link
in a library), I assume that this is the root of the problem.

#include <disclaimer.h>

The statement that PAM is broken is just my understanding of it, I
maybe wrong, I don't fully understand all this crypto stuff :(

HTH

> -Sandip

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000