Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:06:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        brian@MediaCity.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rlogin delay

> > > I've observed something concerning rlogin that is a bit odd to me, and
> > > increasingly annoying for my users. When a user logs off and then tries
> > > to re-log within a reasonable delay from another machine on the local
> > > network, the login will be ingored for a very long time (10-60 seconds
> > > seems typical). I checked the /etc/inetd.conf to make sure it was okay:
>
> I've observed the following behavior between two FreeBSD of every
> version since 2.0.5
>
> freebsd1# rsh freebsd2 ls -a
> ./              .cshrc          .klogin         .rhosts
> ../             .fvwmrc         .login          .xsession
> .Xdefaults      .history        .profile
>
> freebsd1# rsh freebsd2 ls -a
> (30 or so seconds later)
> Connection refused

Interesting.

Did you know that FreeBSD and Linux handle route errors differently,
and that maybe a timeout on disconnect is being misinterpreted?

Linux drops the connection (making it somewhat succeptible to the
"NT sniper bug", actually), and FreeBSD retries.

Matt Day posted something about this to -hackers or to -current
a while ago.

If you are stuck in an incremental back-off, it could explain a few
things.

It would also explain why the change came in at the same time as the
4.4 Lite code came in in place of the 4.3 (Net/2) code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.