Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 00:24:55 GMT
From:      "Chris McNett" <chrismcnett@hotmail.com>
To:        johnsaleeby@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: accessing the web

You can get a direct T1 connection to the backbone through UUNET.  However,
if you are this much of a newbie, you should either get some experience or
hire a sysadmin before starting an ISP.  Any free ISP will only offer 56k
connections, so you should contact a well-known ISP like UUNet.  You can use
FreeBSD and put on a lot of modems (many companies offer ways to do this)
and contact your phone company for digital connections.  You'd need a T1 or
T3 router and a network.  It's going to cost a lot of money, however, it
would be affordable over 200 or 300 people.  Just contact UUNet or some
other big business ISP and they can tell you everything you need and help
you set things up.  However, you'd probably pay as much as any other pay ISP
(and the pay ISP would be very reliable), and you really should probably
just all use the more reliable pay ones.  You get what you pay for.  If you
can't afford $20 a month, then you probably shouldn't attempt to set up your
own ISP until you have significantly more experience.