Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 11:14:58 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automatic updates (was Re: How long for -stable...)

> I think that we can do a lot with cvsupd.  I've used cvsupd to grab
> binaries on an experimental basis and it seems to work great.  I've

Hmmm.  Does cvsupd also move a target out of the way if it already
exists and it's in the process of replacing it?  What if the target is
chflag'd but can be unprotected at the current security level?

What I'm trying to say is that if you have "/sbin/init" and cvsupd is
about to replace it, I would expect the steps to be something like
this:

Receive new init as /sbin/init.${pid} (or something)

 |<--------------------------------------------+
 | Yes                                         |Yes
 \/                               No           |                No
 Mv /sbin/init.${pid} /sbin/init  --> chflags noschg /sbin/init --> Fail

           | Yes
           \/
           Done

If cvsupd does that or can be gimmicked to do that (add
--potentially-hose-me flag? ;) then I'd say it's a serious
contender for being part of a binary update process.

- Jordan