Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 06:58:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Noonan <snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   prob going from 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE - bad sector table not supported

Hi List:

I waited a few weeks before making the jump to 4.0-STABLE.  The
previous afternoon I cvsuped the 4.0-STABLE sources.  Last night I
attempted to go from 3.4-STABLE (previous cvsup/makeworld approx mid
Jan) to 4.0-STABLE.

I used the /usr/src/UPDATING file in addition to my normal
documentation/procedures.

All seemed to go well, until the point came to reboot into single user
mode.  At this point I ran into problems.  My rookieness will show
shortly.

I seem to remember (although I'm a FreeBSD newbie) that the instructions
"enter -s at the boot prompt" is no longer the way to enter single user
mode, correct?

At any rate, I let the kernel boot as normal (my intention, since I
couldn't remember exactly how to get into single user mode, was to
boot as normal, then do a 'shutdown now').  I saw "4.0-STABLE" flash by
the screen and was temporarily elated.  Then I got this error messages:

Mounting root from ufs:wd0s1a
wd0: bad sector table not supported
wd0s1: bad sector table not supported
Root mount failed: 22
Mounting root from ufs:wd0a
wd0: bad sector table not supported
wd0s1: bad sector table not supported
Root mount failed: 22

What exactly does this mean?  The hard drive appeared perfectly well under
3.0-3.4.

Some things I tried to solve the problem:
1. Re-read all docs, make sure I did everything in order, correct, etc.
2. I saw where wd was going to be replaced by ad, so when I had previously
build my devices with MAKEDEV it did it for both wd and ad.  Is building
both ok?  Is order important?

Forgive me this has been answered previously, I did make an attempt to
search the archives, etc., but am in over my head.

Thanks so much in advance,

-Sean Noonan
noonans@home.com