Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:08:56 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Destabilization due to SMP development

At 11:53 AM -0700 2000/6/19, Jason Evans wrote:

>  Last week, approximately 20 BSD developers got together and discussed how
>  to move FreeBSD's SMP support to the next level.  Our effort will be
>  largely based on the work that has been done in BSD/OS, which should make
>  things go much more smoothly than they otherwise might, but we still expect
>  -current to be destabilized for an extended period of time.

	Wow.  Cool.  Way cool.

	My mind is already beginning to boggle, just thinking of what
very little I know of what must go into a process like this....

	On a totally non-technical, but somewhat related note, can anyone
give me any kind of idea how often relatively "large scale" changes
like this typically occur with FreeBSD?

	By the time I came along, I think -CURRENT was already well into
4.x, so I don't have that kind of history to fall back on.  I'm just
intensely curious to know how often "revolutions" of this kind of
scale typically happen within this project.

	I can't wait to see the discussions go on with relation to all
this stuff!  However, if you don't mind I think I'll continue to
track RELENG_4 and listen over here to get some idea of what may be
ultimately coming down the pike over there for -STABLE.