Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 10:44:49 -0500
From:      Nitebirdz <nitebirdz@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        EinreinM@hurlburt.af.mil
Subject:   Re: configuring a modem

Noah Pratt wrote:

> EinreinM@hurlburt.af.mil wrote:
> >
> > How do I get my PnP modem to work in FreeBSD so that I may then use PPP in
> > the KDE environment? I tried using minicom but got errors saying using
> > default configuration file, unable to find device.
> >
> > I purchased an inexpensive emachine and installed FreeBSD 3.1 on it,
>                  --------------------
> >From this alone, I can pretty much guarantee that you wound up with a Lucent
> chipset, PCI "Winmodem." I've seen far too many of these things than is
> healthy. These particular modems are even less expensive than 33.6Kb/s "real"
> modems, and are therefore the only types ever included in complete systems
> now. Even top-of-the-line, brand-name computer systems that ship with
> brand-name 3COM/USR modems have the Winmodem version. I recommend you throw
> it out the nearest MSWindow.
>
> -Noah

	I agree that this is most likely a WinModem, which you will not be able
to make work with FreeBSD or Linux for that matter.  However, I also ran
into a similar problem with my perfectly good and "real" 33.6 modem
sometime ago.  It turned out that it came from the factory with the
jumpers or switches already set for PnP... assuming that any user would
be running it in Windows.  I had to read the manual, and change the
jumpers to speficy which port I wanted it to work with in Linux.

Hope this helps.

Nitebirdz

--
It's not too late to turn back from the "Gates" of Hell...
Linux: the free 32-bit operating system, available NOW.