Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:21:31 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
Cc:        koobs@FreeBSD.org, Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>, araujo@freebsd.org,  Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@tu-dortmund.de>, marino@freebsd.org, ports-committers <ports-committers@freebsd.org>, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports Management Team <portmgr@freebsd.org>, Sunpoet Po-Chuan Hsieh <sunpoet@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: blanket portmgr approval vs. non-fixing changes

In message <57716D89.1050108@sorbs.net>, Michelle Sullivan writes:
> Kubilay Kocak wrote:
> >
> > All: How did you feel the first time you saw your email on a maintainer
> > line? That is priceless and shouldn't be confused with the 'bad' kind of
> > ownership.
> >

> Don't forget that many people see their name/email in the maintainer
> line as being responsible for the port.. so someone goes makes blanket
> changes which actually breaks stuff.. that reflects on the person in the
> Maintainer line - whether you want it to do so or not, whether you
> believe it or not..

I think it's more than the maintainer perceives that they're responsible.
Getting that email from freebsd-pkg-fallout I think there was and maybe
still is a general impression that is had. I for one take the attitude, you
break it, you fix it and I don't hesitate to email any committer who made a
blanket change that broke something. It's only fair because fixing breakage
caused by others also takes away from other productive work and projects,
as some of us do have time constraints and time pressure due to other
commitments.

I have no problems with blanket approval as long as everyone understands
the rules of engagement. I think the maintainer has final say on version
updates and general structure such as supported options or anything that
adds additional support requirements. For example, someone submits a PR to
add option X. Adding option X should require maintainer approval whereas
implementation of options helpers shouldn't require maintainer approval
(but if anything breaks, the committer breaking the port should fix it).
Anything else should be fair game.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>