Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:28:23 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just a wild idea

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:29:15AM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> > better to have a definition of what are restricted ports for each jail
> > than to redefine what root is....
> >
> > (1024 numbers is only 32 words of bitmask)
>
> Sometimes I think the below 1024 check is outdated. What about a flag to
> switch the below 1024 check totally off? How much do we really loose? The

I remember around 6 years ago, when I still ran Linux, that the solution
to this problem came in the form of a diff which delegated bind() on
a reserved port credentials to a certain GID, BIND_GID. From that point on,
the boot process had to be changed such that daemons which only needed to
bind to a privileged port were run under their own non-root uid, with this
BIND_GID in the additional groups list, using a wrapper such as sudo.

This still amounts to a local mod - it can be done, has been done before,
I think Tom Ptacek did some diffs for this for vanilla 4.4BSD a good while
back, rewriting it for your current tree can't be too difficult.

See here: http://www.sockpuppet.org/tqbf/sysctlpriv.html

BMS