Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:40:05 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Going small

Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:

>John Murphy wrote:
>
>>options       CPU_GEODE       # Mandatory
>>
>I checked in NOTES and it says nothing of this option, how and where did=
=20
>you get it, I thought /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES contained all valid=20
>options?

http://phk.freebsd.dk/soekris/kern48xx.html
No idea why it's not mentioned in NOTES though, perhaps it will be in =
5.3.

>>options         SYSVSHM         #SYSV-style shared memory
>>options         SYSVMSG         #SYSV-style message queues
>>options         SYSVSEM         #SYSV-style semaphores
>
>You might be able to remove those options, if I remember right it=20
>explains in the freebsd handbook why you don't (and do) need these =
options.

Yep just had a look in the manual.  The second two are only "a few =
hundred
bytes" each though.

>>device          isa
>>
>Arn't you dealing with a pci only board and chipset, why do you need isa=
=20
>support?

The serial ports require the isa bus:
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0

And there's a bridge too:
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> port 0x6200-0x623f,0x6100-0x613f at device 18.0 =
on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0

>Also setting make options will make things leaner and meaner too.=20
>something like (this is just an example, don't build anything with this=20
>set of options and expect it to work):
>CPUTYPE=3Di585/mmx

Hadn't realised the importance of that one, thanks.
I'll look into the others.

>Have fun with your new toy :-)

Seems the amount of time to play is inversely proportional to
how interesting the new toy ;)

>I'd love to have one of these but can't justify the cost.

If you run a normal PC which uses say 0.1KWH it would cost =A370 pa.
to run it 24/7 (In the UK).  The soekris at 0.01KWH would cost =A37.
(May help the justification :))

--=20
John.