Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:17:23 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        eculp@casasponti.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I've just found a new and interesting spam source - legitimate bounce messages

--------------enig836C53A80A47A3BC8F209E27

eculp@casasponti.net wrote:
> RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com> escribi=F3:
>=20
>> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 08:54:55 -0700 (PDT)
>> Luke Dean <LukeD@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> I just started getting these bouncebacks en masse this week.
>>> My mail provider publishes SPF records.
>>
>> SPF increases the probability of spam being rejected at the smtp
>> level at MX servers, so my expectation would be that it would exacerba=
te
>> backscatter not improve it.
>>
>> Many people recommend SPF for backscatter, but I've yet to hear a coge=
nt
>> argument for why it helps beyond the very optimistic hope that spammer=
>> will check that their spam is spf compliant.
>=20
> I feel the same way and thanks for adding some humor to the situation.

Most spammers aren't aiming to generate back-scatter as their primary
means of disseminating their spam, so they'll do what they can to get
the best chance of a successful delivery.  That means sending SPF=20
compliant e-mails where possible.  It's actually quite simple for them=20
to filter out SPF protected addresses from their target lists, so they=20
do tend to do that, and it's typically the same list of target addresses =
they use for forged senders too.  It's telling that both having a correct=
 SPF record  and having no SPF record at all have a zero score in SpamAss=
assin (ie. neutral) whereas non-compliance scores=20
lots of spam points.

Also see my point earlier about rejecting messages during the SMTP=20
dialogue.  SPF is easy to check early and lets you reject messages
before acknowledging receiving them, which means a lot fewer bounce=20
messages to (probably forged) sender addresses.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3