Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:23:21 +0800 (SGT)
From:      Chan Tur Wei <twchan@singnet.com.sg>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual booting current/stable on x86?

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:13:26 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
> To: Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>
> Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: dual booting current/stable on x86?
>

> Cyrille Lefevre writes:
>  > On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 09:23:22PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>  > >
>  > > How do I dual boot -current and -stable from different slices on the
>  > > same IDE disk? (and linux too.)
>  > >
>  > > When I tell lilo to boot "hde3", I get the -stable boot2 and
>  > > /boot/loader from "hde2" (ad4s2a).  I can then monkey around setting
>  > > currdev and hints and unloading the -stable kernel & then boot
>  > > -current, but I'd like to just pop right into -current on ad4s3a if I
>  > > choose it.
>  > >
>  > > Is there a magic bullet?  I'd like to continue using lilo so that I
>  > > can choose what OS to load via a serial console..
>  >
>  > what is the problem w/ the following entries ?
>  >
>  > other=/dev/hde2
>  >         label=stable
>  >         alias=s
>  >         table=/dev/hde
>  >         loader=/boot/chain.b
>  > other=/dev/hde3
>  >         label=current
>  >         alias=c
>  >         table=/dev/hde
>  >         loader=/boot/chain.b
>

> Just that it behaves exactly as described above -- they both boot
> -stable.
>
>  > what is the content of /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local
>  > for each FreeBSD ?
>
> /boot/loader.conf:
>
> -stable:
>  hw.ata.wc=1
>
> -current:
>  console="comconsole"
>
> /boot/loader.conf.local is empty both places.
>

>  > did you tryed grub which is far better than lilo :P
>

> x86 bootloaders terrify me, so  I have not tried grub.  Does grub
> understand reiserfs?
>
>  > you could also take a look at /usr/share/examples/bootforth then
>  > have something like :
>  >
>  > /boot/stable.conf
>  > currdev="disk1s2a"
>  > rootdev="disk1s2a"
>  >
>  > /boot/current.conf
>  > currdev="disk1s3a"
>  > rootdev="disk1s3a"
>  >
>  > hope this help ?
>
> Thanks..  it did help.
>
> I just discovered liloboot.  I may just hack myself together a custom
> liloboot and forget about it.   That seems to be the most
> straightforward solution.
>
> Drew

I'm not sure how booting with lilo will work (never played with it).

Instead, I dug around a bit previously, and I found that boot1.s reads:
#
# If we are on a hard drive, then load the MBR and look for the first
# FreeBSD slice.  We use the fake partition entry below that points to
# the MBR when we call nread.  The first pass looks for the first active
# FreeBSD slice.  The second pass looks for the first non-active FreeBSD
# slice if the first one fails.
#

So unless someone specifically sets the active partition, the 1st FreeBSD
one, usually -stable, will get loaded.  Since boot1+boot2 is loaded by the
partition boot boot0, or the standard DOS boot (or, even MS's multi boot
selector), the above may cause the 2nd FreeBSD slice to never get loaded.

Incidentally, our booteasy (boot0.s) is one such someone.  Maybe if lilo
or liloboot does the same thing, it will work too.

Regards

  -T.W.Chan-