Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:18:47 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Userland PPP/PPTP tunneling problem

> I've got an interesting problem that I'm not sure how to solve. Here's =

> the situation. A FreeBSD router is set up to allow a host outside, on =
the=20
> Internet, to tunnel into a LAN via PPTP. The router is running PoPToP =
and=20
> FreeBSD's userland PPP. The internal LAN uses the addresses =
192.168/16,=20
> and the internal interface of the router is configured with the /16=20
> subnet mask.

> When the client (which is running Windows) connects, it's given a =
fixed=20
> IP, specified in the ppp.secret file, corresponding to the user who is =

> tunneling in. But the client's routing table has a routing table entry =

> that directs packets for 192.168/24 (NOT /16) to the PPTP connection.

> I can't find a way to cause userland PPP to tell the Windows client =
that=20
> it should be using a different subnet mask. (There's no way to specify =

> one in the ppp.secret file.) How is this done?

This is a known issue with the Microsoft PPTP client. It adds the =
natural
netmask and not the specified one. In case of 192.168.x.x/16 that is a=20
255.255.255.0 netmask and with for example 80.80.80.0/24 is 80.0.0.0/8.
The only known workarounds AFAIK are requiring the client to default =
route
Through the tunnel - or - setup a (persistent?) route on the windows =
box.

Say if client gets 192.168.1.2 when client connects, you need to =
manually
Enter: route -p add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.2
On the windows client before connecting.

Microsoft doesnt seem to be interested in fixing this problem as the =
problem
persist even on Windows XP and has been known since Windows 98(??).=20

- Sten