Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:05:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Diego Montalvo <dmontalvo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reinstalling Video Driver in 8.0-RELEASE....

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Diego Montalvo wrote:

> I have successfully upgraded 7.1-RELEASE TO 8.0-RELEASE and have
> successfully installed XFCE and Opera etc on VirtualBox 3.0.x...  The
> issue is that at time of FreeBSD installation, I forgot to set my
> (Virtualbox) video card with 3D acceleration and with a good amount of
> memory.
>
> I have re-adjusted  the Virtualbox settings with 3D acceleration and
> 64MB of memory.  XFCE is currently running at 800x600 resolution, but
> does not give me an option for any larger resolution.  How do I go
> about reconfiguring my video card in FreeBSD 8.0, so I can run XFCE at
> 1280x720?

No experience with VirtualBox, but resolution is a function of the
monitor.  If VirtualBox doesn't pass the real monitor's resolution
through to the emulated machine or let you set a size for an emulated
monitor, you'll have to set it in xorg.conf.  Probably with entries in
both Monitor and Screen sections.