Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:54:31 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        ABDALLAH Faycal <faycal.abdallah@cegetel.fr>, "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: need help with kde and boot...

On Thursday 06 June 2002 12:33 pm, ABDALLAH Faycal wrote:
> unfortunately, i didn't make a boot floppy for the mandrake cause i of lack
> of experience (i'm a newbie remember ;-) and i didn't find grub in the
> package collection neither...

Sigh. Mandrake, as a professional company, should have had its installer make
a boot disk by default. I'm not that familiar with Mandrake, but check on the
CD so see if there's an option to make an emergency boot disk after the fact.

Otherwise, Grub can boot Linux without needing to go through LILO. You'll need
to read the instructions though. You can find Grub in the ports collection
under /usr/ports/sysutils/grub.

> can i make a bootable mandrake floppy for another computer or it will not
> be good?

If the Mandrake boot disks are based on LILO, probably not, since the boot
disks will have harddrive mappings hardcoded in.

David

p.s. FreeBSD doesn't make a boot disk by default during installation, but the
FreeBSD install disk can still double as an emergency boot disk.

p.p.s. If you end up reinstalling Mandrake, make sure you DO NOT install LILO
back to the MBR (master boot record) unless you wish to use LILO to boot
Windows and FreeBSD as well. And if you do, don't forget to set it up to do
so before you install it.