Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:33:01 +0800 (SGT)
From:      Roland Yeo <roland@cir.nus.edu.sg>
To:        Kevin Kyeong-il CHOI <kevin.choi@cnes.fr>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Questions on TCPDUMP, TCP Window Size

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Kevin Kyeong-il CHOI wrote:

> (1) First question.
> 	I want to make the RFC1323 works on FreeBSD 2.2.6.
> 	Is there any special procedure I need to do ?

by default this is enabled I think.

/etc/rc.conf:

tcp_extensions="YES"       # Allow RFC1323 & RFC1644 extensions (or NO).

/etc/rc.network:
    if [ -n "$tcp_extensions" -a "x$tcp_extensions" != "xYES" ] ; then
            echo -n ' tcp extensions=NO'
            sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0 >/dev/null 2>&1
            sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1644=0 >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi

> (2) Second.
> 	Once the (1) question resolved,
> 	How can I make TCP's option "Window Scale" work on
> 	any connection such as FTP ?

you might require to set the socket buffer sizes in the sources:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/vwelch/net_perf/tcp_windows.html#how

> (3) Third
> 	TCPDUMP, as a real good utility to observe the traffic
> 	on TCP connection, I really want to use this. BUT, But,
> 	whenever I launch this "tcpdump [enter]", it tells me,
>
> 	tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured.
>
> 	I tried to change chmod 666 /dev/bpf0, but no succeed.
>
> 	What is the problem here ?

perhaps you did not configure your kernel to support the packet
filter. check that your kernel config file has the following:

pseudo-device   bpfilter 4

regards,
roland
--
Roland Yeo <roland@cir.nus.edu.sg>
SingAREN, Centre for Internet Research, National University of Singapore