Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:14:17 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        yusufg@outblaze.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID-0 over 2 disks or one single disk

On 22 Aug 2000 13:09:32 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware you wrote:

>Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I am looking at setting up a relatively cheap/fast box and I wanted
>> to know whether it makes more sense buying 2 15GB IBM 75GXP drives
>> striped RAID-0 via a 3ware 6200 controller or just buy one 30GB IBM
>> 75GXP
>>
>> The 15GB IBM 75GXP is approx $100 whereas the 30GB is approx $150. The
>> 3ware should be approx be around $150. Would appreciate your thoughts on
>> this ? Is there some cutover point at which RAID-0 gets better than a
>> single drive ?
>>
>> Regards, Yusuf
>
>Sounds like your configuration is $350 (2x15GB + 3ware)  v.s. $150 (30GB) = 2.3,
>the throughput will be 170% v.s. 100% = 1.7 with same capacity.
>The ratio is not much different, but the absolute money value is.
>
>Unless you real care about the throughput, $350 can buy two 30GB that gives
>you 60GB + extra $50. Stripping on two disks is not very meaningful.
>
>For getting better throughput, you may think to use more disks for stripping.
>Otherwise, stay with a single disk, save money and energy.

You will see *some* improvement in disk access times. However, if your
application is smart enough to make use of multiple disks as is (e.g. SQUID
in my case) then you wont see too much difference to speak of.  If you
really need one big partition with good numbers, try with more than 2
disks.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)