Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 03:01:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PLEASE HELP: FreeBSD-3.3-STABLE and IDE HP-8100 CD WRITER

hi all,
All I want is to be able to write some ISO 9660
Disk image to an empty "write Once" CD, on the
HP-8100 CD Drive.
I have reached the point of MADDNESS, so listen
to my story.

I believed I could use cdrecord for that,
but I could not figure out the device to feed ,
it needs somthing like dev=0,6,0 or dev=2,0
to be able to get the scsi bus number , target
number, and lun number, after sweating there
for sometime to try to get the device name
correct, I finally realize that cdrecord is
for SCSI drives ONLY.

so, looking for an allternative, I went to this
list, and some people recommended 'wormcontrol'
actuall there's a couple of scripts in:
/usr/share/examples/atapi, and
/usr/share/examples/worm

unfortunately they don't work.
the problem is they are searching for
/dev/rworm0 device,
and I tried to use sh /dev/MAKEDEV worm0
or worm1 or rworm0 or rworm1, but the MAKEDEV
can't create them, only a commented line:
'worm* WORM DEVICE' is there in the MAKEDEV.

so I went to man worm, man wormcontrol, and
they indicate that worm device has been
removed since FreeBSD-3.0,
and functionatlity replaced by CAM scsi driver.

going back to kernel configuration looking
there, there is 'controller scsi0'
and 'device cd0' and 'pass0'
trying to MAKEDEV cd0 passes ok and cd0a
and cd0c are created.

NOW, what can I give the wormcontrol, or
cdrecord, or whatever program, the device
name ??

I tried everything.
acd0a, acd0c, cd0a, cd0c, rcd0a, rcd0c
I have even symlinked them to worm0, rworm0
and tried all possible combination.

Please ANYONE succeeded to burn on IDE
cdrom drive please give me an email,
this is very frustrating,
as the FreeBSD, changes from worm device
to cam scsi and man page mention future
releases will have no worm device, but will
incorporate through the cam device, so I am
currently lost.

Mentioning that the CD is my only way of
backing up my system, you can realize
how critical it is to me,
and may be others to get to the BOTTOM
of this and make it work.