Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: malloc()ing 64K physically contiguous buffer in kernel

FWIW, the whole issue of mallocing physically contiguous memory also came
up as a sore point at the Extreme Linux workshop. People need to be able
to allocate physically contiguous memory long after boot time, not just in
that small window of time where lots of contig memory is available.
Nobody, nobody, nobody has a decent answer. NT has the least indecent
answer at the moment, so people seem to think it's good :-(

At the same time, hardware keeps coming out that needs large blocks of
physically contiguous memory. I think a reasonable approach would be a
/dev/physcontig, which you open and make requests to, and which operates
via requests to the VM system. I think the ugly answer is to do terrible
things to the VM to make physcontig requests work. But you all know
better than I do.

Lest you say too many bad things about hardware designers, speaking as
someone who was recently in that boat I can say that having physically
contiguous memory makes many things easier not only in hardware but also
in the driver ...

ron

Ron Minnich                |"Using Windows NT, which is known to have some
rminnich@sarnoff.com       | failure modes, on a warship is similar to hoping
(609)-734-3120             | that luck will be in our favor"- A. Digiorgio
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html