Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:36:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Linux Apps

On 29-Nov-00 Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD gods,

Heh, don't be inflating our egos. :)

> I have a FreeBSD 3.4 system at work and I'm attempting
> to install a Linux application to run under emulation.
>
> There is an install script that comes with the application
> and when you run it, it creates a directory for itself but
> first asks you where you would like to put the directory.
>
> Where should I tell it to create the directory if I'm going to
> run it under Linux emulation?

Anywhere is fine.  Note that if a file or directory is present under
/compat/linux, then it will take precedence over a file or directory with the
same name in the main filesystem.  However, you can install the Linux app into
/usr/local/my_linux_app/ and it will work fine as long as there isn't a
/compat/linux/usr/local/my_linux_app (which there shouldn't be by default).