Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:55:40 -0400
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   READ_BIG - MEDIUM ERROR  installation problem

Hello list,

I was installing 4.0-R from the iso I downloaded and burned to CD the
other day and everything was working fine until it got the the actualy
copying of X11 files.  This (below) happened about 3 or 4 times, I am
unsure, but always came up with the same error.  About 20 of these
would roll by in the other tty (alt-F2).

acd0:  READ_BIG - MEDIUM ERROR asc=11 ascq=00 error=04
/stand/gunzip:  failed gzclose
/stand/cpio:  premature end of file

Is this something wrong with the iso?  It only happened during the
copying of X11 files.  Everything before and after that worked
flawlessly, so I don't think there is a data medium problem.

I guess another question might be, how can I make sure I have all of
the files for X installed?  Should I just ftp them from
ftp.xfree86.org?

The cdrom drive is a Creative IDE 24x that has worked with FBSD
2.2.5 - 3.1 without problems, attached as a slave to the first hard
drive.  I quick search of the archives lead me to believe that this is
a common SCSI problem and I didn't see any other messages involving
the installation.

Any pointers?  Clues?  I don't mind doing another installation, but
still curious as to what might be going on.

System info:
Tyan motherboard
6.4GB hard drive as master
Creative CD-Rom as slave