Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 2008 22:34:34 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel mode PPPoE or User mode PPPoE

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:14:40 +0530
____________ _______________ Ashish Shukla <wahjava.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wanted to know if I'm using user-mode PPPoE or kernel-mode PPPoE.
> I'm following the handbook[1] to setup my PPPoE interface. Is there
> any way I can figure out this ?

If you are starting it from the standard rc.d script, you are using
user ppp.

I think kernel ppp is a legacy feature that was used before the
kernel supported tun interfaces. I don't know of any reason for still
using it. IIRC with kernel ppp you run pppd (note the d) as root, and
the interface shows-up as ppp0; with user ppp, you run ppp as any user,
and the interface shows-up as tun0.