Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:33:14 -0500
From:      Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@flash.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape back that works under FreeBSD

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Speaking of Exabyte drives, I [am trying to :-)]use the 8500 [no
compression] but..............
can't get it to stream, after trying many permutations [and a couple of
days] of possible commands.

I've also erased the [new] tape, cleaned the drive with an Exabyte
cleaning cartridge, changed the cable, etc.

BTW, an Athlon 750mhz w/256MB ram, AHA1520 card. I realize this is a low
end card but it has worked in another machine OK. The drive is almost
unused since new and appears to work satisfactorily other than no streaming.

I've read the dump, st, and buffer man pages and the st page in
particular documents the driver functionality in extremis [for only a
user :-)]  nevertheless it is clear that there are many, many
potentially troublesome variables that it seems to me only a proficient
C programmer with lots of time and a real good working knowledge of
things SCSI could probe.

The command I'm using is...............
       dump 0ub 64 /<dir> | `buffer -s 16k > /dev/tape`

Since you use a DAT at home and are familiar with [at least the Exabyte]
8mm drives, hopefully you can point me to a resolution.

Also, since this is a discontinued product, Exabyte is no help, now,
though they were vigorously supportive when I first got the drive.

Hopefully,

Courtney Thomas