Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 17:07:15 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, fn@pain.csrv.uidaho.edu
Subject:   Re: internal modem problems.

>i'd last done a make world on -current sources on my home pc on nov 30th.
>yesterday (dec 30th), i supped -current and started a make world.

>my internal modem is not found when i boot off the dec 30 kernel.
>it's normally

>sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
>sio1: type 16450

>has anyone else experienced this?

sio.c changed a surprising amount, but I thing the only significant
difference is that it no longer attempts to initialize ports that
aren't mentioned in the configuration (guessing where they are),
so all ports should be in the configuration even though they can't
be used due to an irq conflict.  E.g.:

device	sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

# WARNING: sio3 is not configured by default since it conflicts with S3
# graphics cards.  Uncomment the following line if you # have sio3 on
# irq 9 and at the normal address.
#
#device	sio3	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

# XXX this line should be
#
device	sio3	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr disabled
#
# so that it can be enabled in userconfig, but the `disabled' keyword
# isn't supported by config.  The following hack could be used instead:
#
device	sio3	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 9 vector siointr
#
# The address conflicts so the device won't be probed, but the address
# can be changed using userconfig.

# WARNING: ports that share an irq must be configured even though they
# can't be used due to the irq conflict.  Uncomment the following line if
# you have sio3 on irq3 and at the normal address.  The irq is omitted so
# that the port can be used in polled mode.
#
#device	sio3	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty       vector siointr

# Similarly for sio2 on irq4 and at the normal address, except there are
# no problems with S3 graphics card so it is fairly harmless to enable
# this by default.  Omit the irq if sio2 is actually on irq4 so that it
# can be used in polled mode.
#
device	sio2	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 5 vector siointr

Bruce