Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:19:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Eric Lee Green <eric@estinc.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why filemarks in sardpos?

Matthew Jacob writes:
 > You're porting and NDMP server? Good! Will you make it publicly available?

I am doing this NDMP thing for a customer, using some of their proprietary
code, so I can't release the result.

This was mainly a solaris job, and I just tried the FreeBSD port for
the fun of it, and with the goal of enabling FreeBSD as a tape server
platform for my customer's product ;)

As I ran into trouble with maintaining tape position, I dropped the
idea for the moment. Convincing them that FreeBSD was the best tape server
platform for them was a long bet anyway, and if I have to add a custom
driver, it becomes really complicated (I hope to be back at it later).

There is a nice open-source NDMP package at
http://traakan.traakan.com/ndmjob/ . There are some pieces missing, but the
author said that he is going to release a new version soon, and this could
be the basis for a FreeBSD port.

In the current release, the main missing pieces are:
 - Part of the authentication code. I submitted small FreeBSD patches to the
   author for this, I hope that they (or a replacement) will be in the
   future release.
 - Real tape interface code. This would be really easy to add for FreeBSD,
   if only 'sa' would better keep the tape position. It would probably be
   possible to do it with the current 'sa' by using the resid counts on
  tape move operations, and updating the position internally on read/write.
 - Some of the 'DATA' interface code. You can backup, but not restore... I
   hope that this will be added in the next release of ndmjob.

With this port, I think that a FreeBSD machine could be part of an NDMP
setup, either as a TAPE server (machine with a tape drive connected), or as
a DATA server (machine to be backed-up/restored). The NDMP client (backup
manager) in ndmjob is not that useful, it's mainly a test tool.

I'll take a try at doing the port when the new version comes out, if
this is okayed by my customer.

Jean-Francois Dockes.