Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:58:04 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum for root partition?

On Friday,  2 July 1999 at  0:39:55 +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm just setting up a system with two scsi drives, using vinum for
> mirroring only. Is it possible to use vinum for the also root partition
> somehow? I realize it not simple.

Sure, it's just a SMOP.

> Here's my disklabel (same for both drives):
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   a:   144585        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 8)
>   b:   803250   144585      swap                        # (Cyl.    9 - 58)
>   c: 17928698        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1116*)
>   e: 16980863   947835    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.   59 - 1116*)
>
> My plan is to sync the the 'a' partitions, so if one disk dies, the
> other root partition is useable. But, I guess the system will have to
> reboot if the drive crashes, since the root fs will be unusable.

If you're using Vinum, you should have only one partition per disk.

> I thought, maybe there's some way to fool the system with some
> disklabel "magic", or perhaps I can remount a different fs instead
> of remounting root read-write. Just a wild thought. Any comments?
> Maybe it's better to mfs mount the root somehow? I'm not sure how to
> do that in this case...

You're thinking in the right direction, but I haven't spent enough
time investigating things to make a statement.  Well, maybe one: this
particular feature is top of the wish list, so I'll probably do it
first.  But it won't be tomorrow.

Greg