Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:21:07 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help debugging Windowmaker coredump

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

Hi Jonathon,

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:58:23AM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Here's what I have so far:
>=20
> -----------------------------
> Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.^M

[snip]

> #0  0x80b4545 in WMGetFromPLDictionary (plist=3D0x0, key=3D0x8137b50)^M
> ---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---^M
>     at proplist.c:1429^M
>     1429        wassertrv(plist->type=3D=3DWPLDictionary, NULL);^M
>     (gdb) bt^M
>     #0  0x80b4545 in WMGetFromPLDictionary (plist=3D0x0, key=3D0x8137b50)=
^M
>         at proplist.c:1429^M
> 	#1  0x807ebf9 in wMenuRestoreState (scr=3D0x80f8400) at menu.c:2720^M
> 	#2  0x8093844 in StartUp (defaultScreenOnly=3D0) at startup.c:977^M
> 	#3  0x807898b in main (argc=3D1, argv=3D0xbfbffbe4) at main.c:797^M
> 	(gdb) quit^M
> -------------------------------
>=20
> I looked at the source, but it seems like the assert would have caught the
> null plist pointer.

No, because it asserts that plist->type should be equal to WPLDictionary,
without checking for a NULL plist argument.

> This code is from the WINGs source that comes with windowmaker.

OK, first of all I don't run WindowMaker so this is not going to be up
my alley, but I can guess, and maybe get you going a little further:

It seems that plist =3D=3D NULL. If you type 'frame 1' in gdb after the bt
you should get the line where WMGetFromPLDictionary is called, this
is at menu.c:2720 as gdb says. The NULL pointer seems to be
scr->session_state, in other words, there doesn't seem to be a
session state loaded.

My rough guess is that something in your .wmaker startup dir is
screwed. Have you tried to remove that to test if it works then?

Otherwise you need to trace the code and try to figure out why
scr->session_state isn't being initialized like it should.

> Any idea what could be causing this?

Other than the above hints, no, sorry. You'll probably get better help
from the wmaker mailing list.

--Stijn

--=20
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music."
		-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--