Date:      Mon, 05 Sep 2011 18:29:45 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: sysutils/cfs

Hi,
Doug Barton wrote:
> On 09/05/2011 02:33, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Chris Rees wrote:

> We understand that this is your perspective, however the community in
> general has a different idea.

Whose vision, which community ;-)
I wasn't worrying about an elite user community of those who don't
seem/need to care much beyond ports@ subscribers with CVS & commit privs.

I'm concerned about FreeBSD ports release users that excludes, how they
will see un-professional ports release management, & how they
may dump or not adopt FreeBSD, taking projects & jobs with them.

People may like to ask & compare about project management with
people in other projects on Saturday, September 17th at
http://www.softwarefreedomday.org in ~ 600 cities around the planet,

FreeBSD claims to consider Principle Of Least Suprise.
Best ask oursleves if FreeBSD ports release management complies.

> That's an interesting idea, but incredibly unlikely to happen.
>
> >> Yeah... perhaps if there isn't a vulnerability. At the moment it's
> >> marked FORBIDDEN,
> >
> > Correction:
> > "At the moment" all those with 8.2-RELEASE/ports still see no FORBIDDEN,
>
> That's what portaudit is for.
>
> > The Attic is the standard myopic excuse, ignoring not all FreeBSD
> > release users have CVS,
>
> It is available to everyone, and trivial to configure. The fact that
> removed ports still exist in CVS is not a "myopic excuse," it's a fact.
>
> We need to make the best decisions we can to provide the best support
> possible for the largest percentage of our users.

Yes,  So long as Users != just ports@ subscribers with CVS.

Thanks.

Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.