Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2013 03:44:16 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.org" <stable@FreeBSD.org>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: bsdinstall, zfs booting, gpt partition order suitable for volume expansion

On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Devin Teske wrote:

>=20
> On Dec 10, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Adam McDougall wrote:
>=20
>> I was wondering if either the default gpt partition order could become
>> p1=3Dboot, p2=3Dswap, p3=3Dzpool, or if the installer could be enhanced =
at
>> some point to allow the user to select the order.  It seems like it would
>> be easier to expand the size of the raw device (VM, iscsi, etc) and expa=
nd
>> the zpool if it is the last partition.  I am not in a hurry to get this
>> solved, but if a change to the default order is worthwhile, it seems like
>> before 10.0 would be a good time to set precedent.  I'm trying to think =
ahead
>> where people will be installing 10 to VMs or expandable volumes so they =
can
>> take advantage of expansion with less hassle.  I pinged Allen Jude on th=
is
>> briefly, I think he said it used to be that way but it was changed to
>> accomodate MBR partitioning (I think, apologies for not remembering deta=
ils).
>=20
> Excellent idea. Let me put that into a patch. I'll let you know when I ha=
ve
> something that tests clean.

GPT proved trivial.
MBR on the other hand... that proved challenging.

While trying to best that challenge... I uncovered more than a couple nasty=
 bugs
while iterating over every possible combination in the installer.

That being said... I'm coming out of the "tunnel" since you sent this e-mai=
l and
will soon have something to commit that implements this suggestion while at
the same time, plugging a few edge-cases.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.