Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:00:09 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        "Havener,  Kevin" <Kevin.Havener@afccc.af.mil>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.4, Lyx-1.0.4, teTeX-1.0.6, packages and ports

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 10:45:12AM -0500, Brett Taylor wrote:

> > Question 1:  What is the right answer if make asks me which "file to
> > patch: "?  Shouldn't make know (at least have a default answer for
> > this?
>
> This is a sign that your ports tree is out of sync w/ the distfile of the
> source you grabbed.  I'm surprised that the checksums passed actually,
> although authors do occasionally change things wo/ bumping the version
> number.  The right answer is "update your ports tree" w/ CVSup.  Or at
> least go down the particular port tree for the software you want to
> install (and all of its dependencies).

Indeed, if you're asked that question, something is wrong.  In addition
to what Brett said, I think this problem can arise in certain cases if
you have an old "work" directory, have updated your Ports Collection,
and are trying to build the port again.  So I would add that you should
do a "make clean" in the port directory to the advice.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *