Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:54:26 +1000
From:      "Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
To:        "James C. Durham" <durham@sludge.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adopt a newbie program - Thanks

>I am finally seeing some examples in man pages. This was unofficially
>"verboten" for some reason in the old days.
>
>Yes, it's a great feeling to "figure it out for yourself", but
>a lot of newbies are probablly folk who don't have the time and
>don't work in the industry, even though they may have all the
>grit and determination.

Working ''in the industry" must make learning heaps easier, although if one
accepts literally the all the postings on this subject some at least have
learned
their way around without that advantage. If this is the case, I believe
these
people are in the minority and whilst their opinion is worth listening to,
that of
the likes of us who DO have great difficulty in comprehending the docs must
also be considered.

>I think a little unbending of the man page rituals man be in order.
Examples are
> great! Once you grasp the basic idea, you can use the rest of the page
>to figure out how to improve the system or add features or options.
>Simply adding a typical useage example to the bottom of the
>page would work wonders for some people, I think.

Exactly .... my suggestion is to take a leaf out of the documentation style
of that *unmentionable major software company* and use pictorial components
(a picture
tells a thousand words) to aid understanding of concepts. Another thing that
would
help many newbies is more emphasis on the *easy* ways to do stuff instead of
the
apparently obligatory *complicated* way ....... eg use of "mtools" (where
practical)
instead of always using that $#*@&! "mount" lunacy.

I realize FreeBSD docs are vastly improved over linux equivalents, but they
could still use
a bit of adjustment for newbies ...... maybe needs a lot more input from
malcontents such as the likes of us rather than relying totally on people
whose level of understanding is such that they take so much basic stuff for
granted and thus are incapable of producing docs for people at a really
basic level.