Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:50:14 -0700
From:      James Earl <james@icionline.ca>
To:        Jason Trickett <jstrickett@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to start over with respect to ports

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 23:20 -0500, Jason Trickett wrote:
> Won't this get rid of binary packages too? I want to keep my gnome
> system et al. - I just want to get rid of any port(s) that I ended up
> compiling/installing.

Yes, those previous posts will remove all your binary packages.

When you install an application using the ports tree, it's no different
than installing from a package... in the end that is.  If that makes
sense?

You can remove your ports tree, and ports database.  This will free up
some disk space, and will not affect installed programs.

# rm -rf /usr/ports
# rm -rf /var/db/ports

Hopefully I didn't cause you too much pain, suggesting that you try out
the ports collection!  :)  It is, however the best way to go if you want
to run the latest software versions.

One thing which makes it difficult to just move over to installing from
the ports is that alot of the applications that you have installed right
now are out-of-date in relation to the ports collection.  So before you
can do anything, you really have to first bring all your currently
installed apps up-to-date.

This is usually how I install FreeBSD:

1. Install minimal system...
2. pkg_add -r xorg
3. pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
4. pkg_add -r portupgrade
5. cvsup -g -h
cvsup.ca.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
6. portupgrade -a  (upgrade all applications)
7. setenv PACKAGE_SITE
http://www.marcuscom.com/tb/packages/5.3-FreeBSD/Latest/  (change the
site that 'pkg_add -r' fetches packages from)
8. pkg_add -r gnome2  (gnome2-lite maybe??)

That may not be exact, but it may give you a few ideas of your own.

We change PACKAGE_SITE to marcuscom.com so we can get the latest and
greatest pre-compiled GNOME packages.  This saves from compiling GNOME
from the ports.  You could however...

# cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite
# make install

Hope this helps.