Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2009 00:49:18 +0100
From:      "Graeme Dargie" <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        "Tim Judd" <tajudd@gmail.com>, "Chris Whitehouse" <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Cc:        Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: (OT) good laptop hardware repair group or forum

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Judd [mailto:tajudd@gmail.com]=20
Sent: 12 April 2009 21:38
To: Chris Whitehouse
Cc: Glen Barber; User Questions

<cwhiteh@onetel.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> very sorry for this OT post, does anyone know of a good usenet or =
other
>>> forum to ask about laptop hardware repair? My quite expensive and =
now
>>> out-of-warranty HP laptop has suddenly become very dead and I'm in =
shock
>>> :((
>>>

>> Even though it's (OT), maybe some of us could be able to help.  =
What's
>> the problem?
>>
>>  I will try the HP support forums as suggested but...
>
> It's a nc6320 (RH383ET#ABU) and was in good condition not too much =
used and
> has never given trouble. It was booting, with mains and battery =
plugged in,
> when it suddenly and instantaneously lost power. Now it is completely =
dead,
> no LEDS. It made a couple of clicks as it died, one of which might =
have been
> the hard disk head parking.
>
> The power supply is showing what looks like the right voltage. The =
battery
> has 6 connectors, I tested between all combinations of pairs but all =
were
> zero voltage. I also tested between all pairs of battery connector =
pins in
> the back of the laptop with the power plugged in, also zero voltage.
>
> I am suspicious of the battery showing zero, I think it might need =
wake up
> power from the laptop. Does anyone know if this is the case and what =
pins
> need power?
>
> I left the power supply plugged in and it and an area on the underside =
of
> the laptop were mildly warm after some time so some current is =
flowing.

> That's all I can say. I will take the hard disk out and test. Luckily =
it
> didn't have critical data on it. I'm also competent to dismantle the =
laptop
> if anyone can suggest a fix.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

My grandmother had a HP that just died too.  My brother took the first =
stab
at it, describing it as a likely "DC-DC converter" problem, and I was =
seeing
indication of a bad seat on the CPU.  It was working just fine and for =
the
CPU to become unseated is not likely.  I tore that machine apart until I
couldn't figure out how to get the top or bottom plate off that =
surrounds
the motherboard.  I didn't fix it, but we all gave up and she went and
bought another system.

The DC-DC converter is what takes the 18V (or whatever) the =
mains/battery
supplies, and breaks it out into the 3.3V, 5V, 12V, etc needed to power =
all
the various components.

We never ordered one and tried it.  We just replaced the machine.