Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:12:56 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fdisk (Answer, I think)

Hi,

I think I know the answer.  You have to first type D to delete the current
partition you want to use for FreeBSD, then type C to create the FreeBSD
slice (and use type 165).  The FreeBSD  FDISK utility is very confusing and
unclear, IMO.  I had to figure this one out myself.  Just remember, Delete
current, Create new.  Otherwise the install utility will try to install on
top of whatever type of partition you had there before, and since it isn't
native FreeBSD it will fail with weird messages.  Just changing the type
won't do it, you have to delete and re-create.

Hope this helps,

Tim