Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:38:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh my god, Google has a USENET archive going back to 1981!

:Unix!
:
:I've got _all_ the original CBM stuff for the VIC-20 and C-64, hardware
:and hardcopy. Even some aftermarket FDDs.
:
:I poked a _lot_ of stuff from Compute!, including the assembler, and
:have several of their wire-bound books, too.
:
:I've got the 6502 monitor and 300bps modem cartridges, and if I dig
:around, I'll bet I can find the breadboarded interface to an audio
:cassette player I built so long ago from a Byte article! I soldered
:"reset wires" to both machines' mobos, too.
:
:I've still got all software I accumulated on floppy (even some cool EA
:games, and MicroProse's Gunship), but I have no idea if any of it is
:still readable.
:
:Those were the days, my friends...
:Dave

    Ah yes.  By the time I was ready to throw my PET away the hardware
    inside was so hacked up I don't think anybody but me could boot the
    thing.  I had replaced the character generator ROM with a RAM and wired
    in a wire select to an unused bank, which meant the screen was spaghetti
    on power-up until i LOAD'd a copy of the character set.  I had the
    machine language monitor extension rom.  I had wired in an extra 16K of
    dynamic ram, giving me 48K total (bank selected) (imagine piggy-backing
    a bank of 14 or 16 pin DIPs on another bank and soldering each lead,
    except for the select, to the one below).  I had the NMI button hooked
    up, of course, and I brought the TTL video lead for the monitor out
    to act as a poor man's oscilliscope.  The insides of that box was a
    mess.

    These days traces or so tiny and chip leads are so close together (not
    to mention the 6+ layer boards!) that hacking a PC's hardware is pretty
    close to impossible.

    But it's funny... I never had a desire to hack up my C64's or my Amiga's.
    I guess there enough fun things to do with them that hardware hacking
    wasn't necessary.

						-Matt