Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 23:31:03 -0500
From:      Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
To:        bde <bde@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Questions for FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Using Extended Partitions

I've been corresponding with Julian Elisher wrt. a problem I've run into
with FreeBSD 2.2.2 being unable to recognize logical partitions within an
extended partition. On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, he wrote:

> it MIGHT have worked anyhow..
> unfortunatly you've reached the end of my knowledge..
> you might try directly asking bde@freebsd as he is the person
> who wrote all that stuff.

So... I hope I can get some help from you without making too great an
imposition on your time. Here's my problem description:

I've been able to install FreeBSD 2.2.2 on the third partition of the first
drive of a two EIDE drive setup. The INSTALL.TXT file on my Walnut Creek
CDROM says flatly that I can mount my DOS extended partitions with FreeBSD
2.2.2.

Based on that statement, I've reserved a logical partition within the
extended partition on my second drive for FreeBSD (using Linux fdisk) -
with the intent of subsequently using the FreeBSD fdisk to do the "real"
allocation. Yet when I try to get to it during my FreeBSD installation
procedure's fdisk portion, I see nothing except the extended partition
itself. (i.e. the memu stops with wd1s4.)

After installation, I've done a series of "sh MAKEDEV" commands for wd1s5 -
wd1s8, as well as for wd0s5 - wd0s8, just to have plenty of device nodes.
The logical partition I put a place holder in for using Linux fdisk is
"/dev/hdb6", which I *think* is what "/dev/wd1s6" should correspond to.

When I boot BSD, and say "fdisk wd1", I get:

"... /kernel: wd1: cannot find label (no disk label)" twice and
"... /kernel: wd1s6: cannot find label (no disk label)" twice.

However, the correct partition table info is displayed.

If I try "fdisk wd1s4", I get the above messages plus:

"fdisk: can't get disk parameters on /dev/rwd1s6; supplying dummy ones"

The partition table info, however, is still correct. Also, the command
"fdisk wd0s4" also outputs correct values for the extended partion boot
block on the first drive.

If I try "fdisk wd1s6", I get the "cannot find ..." and "can't get ..."
messages. In addition, the output for the boot block info is incorrect.
In general, all output for "fdisk wd0s[5-8]" as well as "fdisk wd1s[5-8]"
is incorrect.

I've been able to educate myself on the disklabel and newfs commands. And I
feel that if I can get past this hurdle, I should be able to put myself in
business.

Any help or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,